Angelica Grace Designs Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

ULTRASOUND UPDATE - 30 WEEK APPOINTMENT

When we walked into the ultrasound room for my 30 week appointment today, the technician said "You're carrying high!" This is something my Mom has said to me over and over - each time she sees me. In fact my Mom kept questioning that baby Seaman was really a boy because of just how high I was carrying. (I guess the old wives tell from back in the day is that if you carry high, it's a girl. If you carry low, it's a boy.) I suddenly began to panic and questioned whether my Mom could be right regarding it being a girl after the technician commented about this as well. However, my panic was quickly put to rest once they got the ultrasound going. Baby Seaman is DEFINITELY still a boy. In fact, the technician's exact words to us were "WOW! This boy is well endowed." LOL! She took a photo for us and Brent made me promise not to share it here on the internet. Therefore, you'll have to take my word for it I guess. We all got to laughing about it and I found myself just glad that all the boy stuff I have purchased thus far wasn't going to have to be exchanged for pink items. Mom...the OB assured me that those who believe the high/low tale are still living in the ice ages and that there is absolutely no truth to it whatsoever.

Come to find out, the reason why little man appears to be so high in my tummy is because one...he is lying "transverse" instead of the normal up and down lengthwise position. For those who aren't familiar with what transverse means, it is basically where the baby is laying right to left instead of North and South. This new position of his explains my recent discomfort. I've had increased back pain. Can't sleep worth a darn. And have just felt an overall achy and uncomfortable feeling lately. I always feel him more on my right side - in my ribs - then I do on the left. This is because his butt is the only thing on the left side of me. His feet, hands/arms, face, etc. are all tucked nicely together over on the right side of me. This also explains why he moves, kicks, pokes and prodes at me when I lay or try to sleep on my right side. This is a sample photo of how a transverse baby is positioned in the stomach...(only my little guy is face down - looking toward my heiney)...

What is it about my kids that allow them to think these funky positions are OK? Ya know...Brennen was breech and that is what started this whole "must have a c-section" issue. Kenidi behaved and stayed head down in the correct position but look where that got me...an automatic repeat c-section because of Brennen's breech birth. Now I have this one laying side to side instead of up and down. Good thing they've already told me that I have to have another c-section or I might be having one either way if this kid continued to stay in this position. Stubborn Seaman babies, I tell ya.

On another note, it appears as though baby Seaman will be another big one. They told me he is measuring about a week and a half ahead right now. Her words were...he isn't a buddha baby but he will definitely have some extra padding when born. :) I'm used to this as I was told the same thing about Brennen and Kenidi and the doctors were correct in their guesstimations. They both came out as 8 pounders on delivery day. She looked at Brent and said they probably follow his height. I asked what classified a "big baby" to them and she said average babies total up to be around 50% in size right now. Bigger babies around 75% and buddha babies at say 95%. Well Baby Seaman is measuring at 71%. Therefore, he isn't HUGE but he is following the same protocol that his brother and sister did with their in utero growth.

Aside from that, everything looked great. The doc complimented me on my control with the weight gain again and also mentioned how great my blood pressure has continued to look given my heart condition and how far along I am. I guess she expected to have to up my heart medicine dosage by now considering how statistically they do in other women. I'm praying everything continues to go well over the next 9 weeks and that it all turns out happy and healthy for both the baby and I in the end. I'm also praying that he makes it to that December 2nd date and doesn't require me to go early because my parents and Brent's mom already have their flights scheduled for that specific time. What a nightmare that would be to have to call in the troops early and mess their schedules completely up with work and all. Ugh! I don't even want to think about it.

I go back to the OB in two more weeks and was told that we'd get another ultrasound around 34-36 weeks just to check his size again. I'm loving all of these ultrasounds this time around. I never had that many with Brennen or with Kenidi. It's awesome to see him on that screen. I can't wait to meet him in person come December.

In the meantime, thanks to all of you for your prayers regarding my photography news. I had some shoots for the local magazine I mentioned this week and boy did they test my photography knowledge and know how. The most recent shoot I did was for a doctor inside a treatment room with a large innovative new radiation machine behind him. Think MRI machine only 3 times as big. The room was dark and had blue color schemes coming from everywhere. The day before I shot a woman in her home that had yellow color casts coming from every angle. The lighting tested me - the blue & yellow color casts tested me - it was all such a learning experience. Thankfully I had a small pep talk with myself and with God out in the waiting room before my shoot with the doctor that day. I was so nervous that I was trying to talk myself into getting up and walking out. Of course I didn't but trust me - my feet wanted to. The enemy sure wanted to convince me that I wasn't qualified for the job. He almost won too. Almost. God finally shook me and told me to basically get a grip - to get a hold of myself and my fear. So I did. In the end, the shoot went great. And in fact, the doctor turned out to be a doctor from Indiana - just minutes from my old stompin' ground, Center Grove. (CG) Something about photographing a fellow Hoosier helped to put my mind at ease and gave me a sense of calm. It made all the difference in the world. I'm confident it was a God thing - placed there to help me overcome my insecurities for the session. It's amazing what you can do when you have God on your side - shaking some sense into you - ultimately forcing you to dig deep and gain confidence in yourself on a whim like that. I walked out of that hospital shoot feeling like a new woman. I got the images edited and sent them over to the magazines editor later that afternoon. Thankfully, the shots worked and will be used in their November issue. God is good. I couldn't survive this life without him.

Right now...we are gearing up for Grandma Debbie's (Brent's moms) arrival into town tomorrow. She'll be here visiting with us through Monday night. The kids will be thrilled to see her. In the meantime, I'm going to try some funky poking on my belly in my attempt to get baby Seaman to turn lengthwise and give me some relief. Something tells me he likes this position though and intends to stay there for a while. :0)

Happy Hump Day! ~Angie

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Hi Angie~I've been reading your blog for awhile now & I really enjoy it & your beautiful photographs.
So happy to hear Baby Seaman updates. You must be so excited. Much luck & love to you all.
Maria

9/29/2010 11:06 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Glad to hear that all is going well with your baby. I'm glad your photoshoot went well, too. What are the chances that doctor would be from where you are? That's nuts! I have to give your mom a little credit here...my boys were so low in my belly that I thought they would fall out, while Kennedy was way up under my ribs. I'm sure it doesn't work that way for everyone, but it sure did for me. I was looking at old pics the other day and it made me miss that baby stage so much. I'm one of the few weirdos that enjoy the newborn stage. Can't wait to see pics of your little guy when he arrives!

9/30/2010 7:53 AM  
Anonymous Lisa J said...

Hi there-
Alyssa was just like that. My doctor told me to put headphones on the bottom of my belly and the lay the ironing board at an angle against the couch and lay with my head down on the ironing board and play the music. The baby goes for the music and the more comfortable position (since you are now upside down). Crazy as it sounds...it worked. She turned that day. I was much more comfortable after that :)

10/02/2010 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

AGD Blog Archives

Link to Us!

 

Copy code and paste in your blog where you would like button to be displayed.


Copyright © 2006-2008 Angelica Grace Designs | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design: Simply Creative | Graphics: PRESH Web Designs