Angelica Grace Designs Blog

Thursday, July 23, 2009

SEEKING THE BEAUTY

When you look at this picture in general, what comes to mind? What do you see? If you were driving down the road and passed this lot/property, would anything register? Pay close attention now...

Maybe come in a little closer. Now what do you see...?

Well let me show you what I see.

I see these...

And my eyes see tons and tons of color. More color then my brain can wrap itself around...


How about this pink canoe (shown below) by the way??? Think we could letter it up with some AGD wings maybe? I think so!

Needless to say, despite the no-see-um mosquito type bugs that ate me alive the whole time I was shooting as well as the fear I had that a snake was going to come crawling out from underneath one of these stored kayaks and bite my ankles, my camera, my lenses, and myself had a ball capturing all of this color - this intrigue - these photographs.

You see...this is a small kayaking business off the side off the road which I happen to drive down many times a week while here in Southwest Florida. And each time I pass this store, my heart skips a beat (well it does that normally but you guys know that story - Ha ha!). Anyway, my heart skips a beat whenever I look over and see all of these phenomenal angles coming off the boats as well as all of this outrageous color. I have continually had the urge to get back there on this property and shoot these boats.

Finally one day, I got up the urge to call the owner of the business. I wanted to ask permission to get onto their property after hours and shoot. Although the woman I spoke with on the phone that day seemed confused on why I'd want to shoot there, she gave me the OK. She asked me if I could do it during the day rather then after hours. I explained to her that I wanted the evening hours so that the sun wasn't so harsh in my shots. Again, confused...but she gave me the permission I needed. She asked me if she could get copies of any of the shots I did and I told her "of course!" Definitely! We agreed that I'd leave my business card in her mailbox once I had completed everything. So, I waited until the perfect evening - where the sun was going down and we had a bit of an overcast cloud cover in the sky. Finally, it happened. The sky was perfect. The clouds were perfect. Even the palm trees on their property were perfect! Wink wink! ;)

I can't thank the owner enough for allowing my heart and I to skip a few beats together during this process. Yes, as the old saying goes..."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." However, my intention of posting this shoot here on the blog was to prove that although that saying is somewhat true...I believe that there is beauty to be found, to be seen, to be had in everything if we will just take the time to look for it. I've said it before but I'll say it again...One of the best things about being a photographer is that life looks completely different from inside a camera. The things we'd normally pass up in day to day life become things we can't pass up behind a camera. Photography allows you to see things you never saw before. One of the major misconceptions people who aren't photographers have about photography is that the art of it is all about the beautiful things in life. Photography is about all walks of life. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Again, it's all in how you choose to see or view it. The other cool thing about photography is that you are the artist. It's your gig - you make the rules. Therefore, if you want to shoot an old lot full of kayaks...you can. And I did.

So today...I'm encouraging you to go seek out the beauty in the mundane or the not so pretty today. Find it. Hunt it down. It's just another way to actively turn the negative into a positive. And with that comes a better day then maybe the day you had before...you can be sure of it. Thanking God today for all of the beauty in life. Even when it comes to kayaks. :)

PS...Should your travels ever bring you to Southwest Florida and leave you wanting to take a kayaking trip for the day or leave you wanting to go canoeing, be sure to look up Estero River Outfitters. They have a great selection of boats and have a wonderful owner who was ever so kind & gracious to me.

xoxo, Angie

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

Hey Angie I love this post and those pictures, love all the color!! You should read Crystals blog over at Little Bit Funky, she did a post similar but only in a self portait type setting. Go to my blog and see for yourself me totally unmasked and as you say "in the raw". I love looking at pictures most people would think are ugly and see the beauty in them. It's just the way God made us and this world, naturally beautiful. Have a great day chick!!
~Molly P

7/23/2009 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Angie Steele said...

Love, Love, Love all these pictures. If I drove by that place I would have never noticed all the beautiful colors......I would have drove by fast so Joe didn't want to rent one of those death traps!!!!

7/23/2009 11:47 AM  
Blogger Angie Seaman said...

I'm cracking up Angie. That is hysterical! (about Joe wanting to rent one & you driving by really fast hoping he didn't notice them.) HA HA!

Hugs, Ang

7/23/2009 11:48 AM  
Blogger ~Amy Rose said...

You are so cute....LOVE all the bright colors!! You have such an eye! Very Talented!! I so eenjoy your BEAUTIFUL pictures everyday!
Blessings....
Amy

7/23/2009 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Brent said...

I love these pictures. Gorgeous photographer!

Brent

7/23/2009 1:08 PM  
Blogger Angie Seaman said...

Awww...thanx babe! Love you!
Me

7/23/2009 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...kayaking is AWESOME!! I feel like I'm in the huge bath of the world and at so much inner peace when I go but it's still here is good ol'Indy!! LOL!!
I want everyone one of those kayaks!! ha!!

7/23/2009 2:12 PM  
Blogger Aura said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful comment! You're right, it's tough to see life passing us by at 90 miles an hour. But at least you're fortunate enough to be one of the people that sees that, and you can stop and appreciate all the beauty and simple things that make it wonderful. I know through photographs I can at least always looks back and never forget, and you seem to have that special relationship with the camera, as well. Have a wonderful weekend!

7/23/2009 8:24 PM  
Blogger Tonia Hobbs said...

So so cute.

7/24/2009 1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie! So good to hear from you! Yes,Im unpacked and ready to go again....this time without so many teenagers,Ha! WE didnt stay as long as I had intended too but that's what you get when you take the neighborhood,smile. My brother lives in such a beautiful place I cant see how he can only visit a few times a year. I would have a hard time saying goodbye. My one big regret was not taking an afternoon to meet up with you. Maybe nextime we will have more time on our hands. Enjoy your last few weeks! Susie

7/24/2009 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Mommy Sue said...

Great shots Ang, I too like the pink one, but it looks even better with all the other colors around it. I don't think I want to do any kayaking myself; however I get excited imagining someone else do it. That was very sweet of the owner to let you shoot on their property. As far as the snakes go, don't worry, they are all at your house, ha ha xoxoxoxo

7/24/2009 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

AGD Blog Archives

Link to Us!

 

Copy code and paste in your blog where you would like button to be displayed.


Copyright © 2006-2008 Angelica Grace Designs | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design: Simply Creative | Graphics: PRESH Web Designs