Angelica Grace Designs Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2008

WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE

Ok...turn your volume up on your computers if they aren't already. Then just listen.
(If you are reading this update in an email, go here http://www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/ instead or you won't get the full effect)
Do you hear that song playing on my playlist (found at the right side of your computer screen on this blog page)? It's "Gloria" by Laura Branigan. Do you guys remember that song? Are you hearing it? It's one of those toe tapping - can't sit still kind of songs isn't it?
Well, I was just on my way back from taking Kenidi to school. It was just Brennen and I in the car on the way home. (we took him to the doc this morning and they diagnosed him with Bronchitis now so he is home from school until Monday) We were listening to the XM 80's station and that Laura Branigan song came on the radio. I was immediately taken back in time - back to around age 8 or 9. Brennen's age basically. Isn't it funny how songs can remind you of a moment in life that was so long ago but yet it is so vivid in your memory? I couldn't help but think of how I used to run around my Dad's house at that age and play that song over and over. He had the tape and I loved her song "Gloria." My Dad and I looked just like this back then (see photo below)....

Propell yourself and us about 24 years into the future and now we resemble this.... I can remember a lot about growing up as a little girl with my Dad. I pray that Kenidi will one day have those same type of memories with Brent. There is something about a girl and her Daddy. But then again, as the nurse at the doctors office told me today...."There is just something about a son and his Mom....he'll kill ya when he grows up and finds his wife. You'll no longer be his "best girl" and it hurts - hurts real bad!" As Brennen and I jammed to Laura Branigan's "Gloria," I began to recount the memories I had as a young girl his age at my Dad's house - at his Papa Tony's house. I told him how I used to do cartwheels across the living room to that song. I truly thought I was the coolest thing that ever graced the face of this earth as I danced to that song. Besides the old, "Mickey your so fine" tune, I don't know that I ever danced as hard to anything else. Ha ha! For about three minutes...that song took me wayyyyyyyyyy back. It allowed me to open up some dialogue with Brennen regarding growing up - getting older - and cherishing things and people you love in life. In the end, he basically replied with...."You are so old school Mom!" HA! Funny thing is, I can remember thinking that exact same thing about my parents. What was even more odd was the song that I stumbled upon right after Laura Brannigan's song. It is Trace Adkins song called You're gonna miss this. Have you heard it? If not, look to your right on my blog playlist and click that song now. Listen to the words - then come back here.

That song brought tears to my eyes right after I'd just been beboppin' around in the drivers seat jamming out to "Gloria." Why you ask? Because it is so true. There are many many things I miss about my childhood. However, at the time, you don't think about that stuff. You are too young to ponder that deep. You are too cocky, too arrogant, too stubborn, too spoiled, too immature, and short way too much life experience to know better. It's just not possible to appreciate life, parents, loved ones, memories, etc. as a young child or even a teenager. It all eventually comes full circle though. I guess God knew what he was doing when he planned the learning process this way, right?

So...thanks Dad! Thanks for the "Gloria" moments in my life. Thanks for providing me with such fond and fruitful memories of my childhood. You, Mom, Cathy - all of ya! I am such a lucky - lucky girl. Just like I told you a few days ago....I'm so proud to have you as my Dad and even more proud to have you as the Grandfather to my kids. Again, God knew what he was doing. :)

I love you buckethead! Love, Ang

9 Comments:

Blogger Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Haha!! This song in the background cracks me up. Too funny.

2/21/2008 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that Trace Atkins song brings tears to my eyes too!! There are so many songs that take me back in time to when I was a little girl, or a know it all pre teen and teen...if we only knew then what we know now...

Your words are so true.
One day Brennen will have the same experience, and he will pick up the phone and tell you how much he appreciates you, even old school you!! LOL

Kenidi looks so much like you when you were a little girl!

As always hugs to you girl!
Nina

2/21/2008 3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now that I have stopped crying :) I can tell you that you brought back many, many memories and I loved it. One memory triggers another, and another and so on. I remember stressing over getting you the right dress for the wedding and would you like it? I know that was a tough day for you and I have thanked God many times that we have become so close and how much you, Brent, Brennen and Kenidi mean to me. I love you as my own and couldn't ask for a more thoughtful, caring, beautiful daughter. I am very blessed to have your Dad, he is a wonderful, wonderful husband with a wonderful daughter who he loves more than life itself.

I remember my childhood with my parents and grandparents growing up, and even though it seems like an eternity since then, some memories are so vivid, like it was yesterday. Cherish and make as many memories as possible because before you know it, life has gone by.

Thank you very much for being who you are! You are truly amazing.

I love you dearly,

Cathy

2/21/2008 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie,
Wow, I remember that song. Blast from the past for sure. I also remember the picture of you and Tony below. My how we've all changed but, you are still as beautiful as ever and I still say that no matter how much your mom doesn't agree with me that Brennen looks just like you. Look at your picture below and look at Brennen.

I also see some of you in Kenidi although to initially look at her you think she looks like Brent. but a little Angie is in there. I'm sure as she grows older even it she doesn't look that much like you......she'll act like you. Who knows by the time she gets into first grade she may have aspirations of either being a clothes designer, a magazine editor or even a fasion photographer...all of which her mother may be able to give her a few tips on. ( ha ha). She's also so lucky to have Brennen as her big brother. Although we can't pick our siblings, Kenidi couldn't have picked a better one if she was able to choose.
I hope that Brennen is feeling better soon. Give the kiddos hugs and kisses from Aunt Sharla.

P.S. Watch your step!

LYFA

2/21/2008 6:52 PM  
Blogger Stacey Moore said...

oh the memories that those songs bring back!! my kids (3&8) asked what are you listening to mom?? thanks for always making me smile and remember the truly important things in life!!

2/21/2008 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ey Angie,

I LOVE the pics! So sweet! I know what you mean about certain songs. I listen to that 80s station too sometimes and it seems like yesterday until you do the math and realize how long ago it actually was!!

I've heard the Trace Adkins song tto and cry EVERY time I hear it, or at least tear up!

Hope Brennen feels better soon! Give me a ring and we'll try to plan dinner again!

Blessings,

Jenny

2/21/2008 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ang,
I love you! I am also blessed to have you too.
Love Dad.

2/22/2008 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you made me have a good cry this morning! This was very inspirational. I remember that song "Gloria" all to well myself. And as far as the new Trace Adkins song, I heard it a couple of weeks ago and boy does it tug at your heart.......because boy, I do miss it.

Leighann Quinlan

2/23/2008 5:04 PM  
Blogger Joanie Arcand said...

Angie,
I had to leave you a post.....First time visiting your site and when I saw the 2nd photo with you and your dad, I was flooded with memories of 4th and 5th grade at Maple Grove! I remembered how your mom would curl your hair in those cute ringlets....I was always so jealous. Anyway, your site looks great.

Joanie

2/24/2008 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

AGD Blog Archives

Link to Us!

 

Copy code and paste in your blog where you would like button to be displayed.


Copyright © 2006-2008 Angelica Grace Designs | All Rights Reserved | Blog Design: Simply Creative | Graphics: PRESH Web Designs